Scope (?):  All Topics
deby32953
professor
Hot or Not?
2

Why Can’t We Find Expired Codes Or Call Up Expired Deals With Search Unless We’re Submitter?

submitted on August 25, 2010 by deby32953 in "Buxr Website / Contests"
After researching codes for a deal, I was excited to find a 40% off code had been reactivated (I remembered from previous deal), but when I did a search for it by code name, it didn’t pop. I did a search by store name, 1st under deals & then under codes & I found code but it didn’t say when it was posted or expired. When testing 40% & 20% off codes, I found a fantastic anomaly (probably mistake on the store’s part) that codes STACKED giving you 60% off sale prices. I was very excited to post this deal & my initial title was “20% Off Entire Site STACKED W/Previously Submitted 40% Off Lowest Price Code” & was going to copy deal link in “Comments” but was unable to because of stated problem. I took a chance & submitted deal as new & badaboom! 40% off code was still w/in 30 days of expiration & admin updated & removed all mention of it from my deal (even the STACKED part) leaving it a lonely “20% Off Entire Site” although it's mentioned in “Comments” if anyone bothers to look.

I’ve come across this problem several times before & have also found other peoples codes that are still good & have reported it & have been told to flag deal but you’re unable to when it’s an expired code. Is there a way to make this possible? And what should I have done in my deal situation?
 

Favorite
  Comments
  • 76376
    YanBz
    admin
    Posted by YanBz on August 25, 2010 [reply] 0 0
    First of all, you can find expired codes even if you are not the submitter. Type the code into the search box and search for 'Deals'. Make sure you have "Expired" set to "Show" in the "Customize the view" box on the right hand side.

    Second, here is how I would go about these two particular deals:

    1. Flag the 40% off coupon code as "Alive Again". It expired within 30 days so you may not submit it as a new deal. An admin will see your flag and will update the deal.

    2. Submit your 20% off as a new deal and mention in the additional instructions that the coupon is stackable with other codes. Do not mention the 40% off code here (you should not take advantage of another member's submission in your own coupon deal) however you are free to link to the 40% off in the comments.

    3. Since this seems like a pretty hot deal, submit a separate discussion topic with a title "60% off sale prices at [store name] with stackable coupons", link both deals in the discussion, and explain what you found.
      76397
    • deby32953
      professor
      Posted by deby32953 on August 25, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      I wasn't able to link since I couldn't call it up. That's why this whole d.t. I wanted to do all that but S. wouldn't let it fly.
    • 76398
    • deby32953
      professor
      Posted by deby32953 on August 25, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      #3. OH, THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!
  • 76396
    deby32953
    professor
    Posted by deby32953 on August 25, 2010 [reply] 0 0
    You can't flag it when you can't call up the old deal. You can only see it when you find it on a store search under codes if you know what you're looking for. When you do find it under "codes" when searching for the store name, when you click on it, it goes to the store, not the deal.
  • 76407
    YanBz
    admin
    Posted by YanBz on August 25, 2010 [reply] 0 0
    Make sure you select 'Deals' from the search drop down list. 'Coupons' search works a bit differently (it will not allow you to open individual deal pages).
      76452
    • deby32953
      professor
      Posted by deby32953 on August 25, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      You can't find expired deals from the "Deals" page by the coupon code. And you can't find expired deals by searching for the store name under "Deals" either. So what to do? That's why we can't flag so you can update them or put them into our comments. That's the whole reason for this d.t.
    • 76453
    • deby32953
      professor
      Posted by deby32953 on August 25, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      You can't find expired deals from the "Deals" page by the coupon code. And you can't find expired deals by searching for the store name under "Deals" either. So what to do? That's why we can't flag so you can update them or put them into our comments. That's the whole reason for this d.t.
    • 76502
    • YanBz
      admin
      Posted by YanBz on August 25, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      Not sure what you mean by "can't find expired deals". Let's have a little experiment, type "SHOP15EDT" into search box, select "Deals" from the drop down list, and click "Search". Do you see the 78 days old expired Kohl's deal?

      Here is a direct link to the search results:
      http://www.buxr.com/deals/search/SHOP15EDT

      Your screen should look like this:
    • 77004
    • deby32953
      professor
      Posted by deby32953 on August 29, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!! (Sorry, just got back to this today.) Nothing comes up at all!! Nada! That's the problem we're having!! It works for you but NOT for us!! We cannot find expired deals!!
    • 77014
    • YanBz
      admin
      Posted by YanBz on August 29, 2010
      [reply] 1 0
      Make sure you have "Expired" set to "Show" in the "Customize the view" box on the right sidebar.

    • 77035
    • deby32953
      professor
      Posted by deby32953 on August 29, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      Did that also. Alway check "expired." Yan, it just doesn't work for us.
    • 77124
    • gabyperu
      professor
      9 5 2
      Posted by gabyperu on August 29, 2010
      [reply] 1 0
      It worked for me, I could see the old deal.
  • 76487
    deby32953
    professor
    Posted by deby32953 on August 25, 2010 [reply] 0 0
    Yikes, I'm even talking in duplicate now!
  • 76498
    mooncow728
    professor
    1 1
    12 6 1
    Posted by mooncow728 on August 25, 2010
    [reply] 1 0
    I've had this happen a few times. Just like that Canvas People deal. I searched for it last night, and had everything selected so that it would show deals with negative votes and deals that were expired. Nothing came back, yet today it was flagged as a dupe. Now I search and it shows up after the title was edited. What ended up being the problem was a simple space. Some deals list the website and others list the store.
      77005
    • deby32953
      professor
      Posted by deby32953 on August 29, 2010
      [reply] 1 0
      I know. I actually asked admin once why they don't have some type of format for submitting deal names. Like putting the store name 1st or site. I get nabbed when they start deals with $1.00 off coupon, etc. They just don't pop! Same thing with certain names of items & stores. You can't find them no matter what. And her admin thought all this time we could find expired codes by typing code in deal box! They've asked me so many times to flag expired deal (codes) that I can't get too & they just didn't understand why not. I've had so many (unfair) rejections because of this. I was once told I might get thrown off if I didn't bring up my rejection % since it was the worst on the site! I was afraid to submit deals for a while!
  • 77013
    WhattaDealBlog
    professor
    1
    1
    Posted by WhattaDealBlog on August 29, 2010
    [reply] 3 0
    Yans example works just fine for me as long as I make sure expired is set to show.

    Also when searching for older deals and nothing comes up, make sure to click the link labeled "Search older deals" at the upper right. It used to be located at the bottom of the page but its been moved.
      77036
    • deby32953
      professor
      Posted by deby32953 on August 29, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      Did all that. Did you search under deals also? Nothing came up for me & I tossed cookies, cleared browser, shook computer, stomped on it, threw it agaist wall, set it on fire, whatever & it still won't come up. It never has for me. Maybe you have to be a Poweruser to have that Power? I don't know.
    • 77074
    • YanBz
      admin
      Posted by YanBz on August 29, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      That has nothing to do with your being power user. If you look carefully at my screenshot you will notice that I am not even logged in when I made it
    • 77076
    • deby32953
      professor
      Posted by deby32953 on August 29, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      Then why can't I and many others not able to call them up? Can you try it w/a dif. computer that doesn't have cookies attached to admin or your special abilities & see if you can do it then because I have never been able to & it sounds as if, at least mooncow, is having similiar problems
    • 77111
    • YanBz
      admin
      Posted by YanBz on August 29, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      mooncow, do you see the deal from the screenshot above when you click this link:

      http://www.buxr.com/deals/search/SHOP15EDT
    • 77117
    • mooncow728
      professor
      1 1
      12 6 1
      Posted by mooncow728 on August 29, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      I can see all of that just fine. The only issues I have are with spacing in store names. For instance someone will originally post as kohls.com and I search Kohl's and don't find it. I've just gotten used to trying to search multiple ways (such as kohls, kohl's, kohls.com and so forth).

      Every once in a while I stumble on a deal that I know that I've seen but can't find it after searching high and low but someone else always does.
    • 77125
    • HouTex
      admin
      Posted by HouTex on August 30, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      [I am only using this as an example, because there would be too many deals in the result - 11 pages today]

      I would search for "Kohl" to get all of them, regardless of spacing. I just search for the portion that they all ("Kohl's", "Kohls", or "Kohls.com") have in common.

      It doesn't matter which browser you are using.
  • 77077
    DebsFreebies
    professor
    2
    10 5 1
    Posted by DebsFreebies on August 29, 2010
    [reply] 1 0
    As for me, I can find it when I make sure the drop down box for expired has "show". I tried it in Firefox 3.xx, Firefox 4.0b4 and Chrome 5.0.375.127.

    I do wonder why, if the expired box has "hide", why expired deals still don't show up when you click on "show older deals". Should it not?
      77109
    • deby32953
      professor
      Posted by deby32953 on August 29, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      Admin is saying they do show up but they don't for me ever. Do you think my problem is I'm using the old Internet Explorer??
    • 77110
    • YanBz
      admin
      Posted by YanBz on August 29, 2010
      [reply] 1 0
      If expired box says "hide" then expired deals will be hidden no matter what. Older deals simply means deals submitted before 3 months ago. Older deals is not the same as expired deals. You have to turn the expired into "show" to see expired deals, even if you are in "older deals" mode.
    • 77115
    • DebsFreebies
      professor
      2
      10 5 1
      Posted by DebsFreebies on August 29, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      Deby, have you thought about using Firefox? Or at least updating your IE?
  • 77119
    vectra5
    professor
    3 1 1
    Posted by vectra5 on August 29, 2010
    [reply] 2 0
    Link works for me

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

Name

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

Emoticons

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

(more)


 

Browse by tags