Scope (?):  All Topics
Hot or Not?

What an idiot...So glad it wasn't my kids,

submitted on March 16, 2009 by bnwsmile in "Member's Lounge"
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Ten children at a day care center drank windshield wiper fluid after a staffer served it from a container mistaken for Kool-Aid and placed in a refrigerator, authorities said Friday.

The day care owner surrendered her state license Friday.

Doctors estimate the children, ages 2 to 7, drank about an ounce of the blue fluid late Thursday afternoon before realizing it tasted wrong, said Laura James, a pediatric pharmacologist and toxicologist at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock.

Only one child remained hospitalized Friday morning, after blood samples showed "measurable levels" of methanol, a highly toxic alcohol that can induce comas and cause blindness, officials said. The day care also provided the fluid for testing.

The windshield wiper fluid was bought with several other items on a recent shopping trip, James told The Associated Press. "This product was mistakenly grabbed and thought to be Kool-Aid and put in the refrigerator," she said.

The day care's operator, Carolyn Bynum, was interviewed Friday by child welfare investigators and gave up her license, said Julie Munsell, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services. Bynum declined to comment to the Associated Press.

"She was so upset about what had occurred and she was definitely worried some of the children had been injured," Munsell said. "It was just a mistake, she says. She says it was just a horrible mistake."

Bynum's license had allowed her to care for 10 children in her home in Scott, about 15 miles east of Little Rock. Munsell said Bynum had no found complaints or serious compliance issues in the past.

By surrendering her license, Bynum can no longer care for children without reapplying.

The toxicologist warned that many antifreeze or windshield wiper solutions have bright colors, which can be mistaken for fruit drinks.

"I think the take-home message is not to have these products in the kitchen or where you're doing any kind of food preparation," she said.

I would have gone nuts! The windshield wiper containers look NOTHING like gallon Kool-Aid Jugs. Most even have child proof caps. She should have gotten more than just her business license taken away in my opinion. Hopefully none of the kids suffer any long term effects from her stupidity.

  • 18447
    Posted by phunkeey on March 16, 2009 [reply] 0 0
    That's weird the other day I filled up my car's windshield washer with Berry Blue Kool-Aid by mistake.
    • bnwsmile
      Posted by bnwsmile on March 16, 2009 [reply] 0 0
      lol. Park it for 2 seconds and It would be covered in ants =P
  • 18455
    1 1 1
    Posted by MrCheap on March 16, 2009 [reply] 0 0
    How did your driving taste after it? Smile
  • 18462
    1 6 2
    11 4 1
    Posted by Solstice on March 16, 2009
    [reply] 0 1
    I knew this guy that went by the name of Jim Jones... strange fellow.

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)


E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?


'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'



Browse by tags