Scope (?):  All Topics
HouTex
admin
Hot or Not?
3

The Hazards of USB Cables and Electrical Cords

submitted on January 8, 2010 by HouTex in "Member's Lounge"
This is pretty disturbing, and reminds us that we have to be so careful about attached cables left within reach of small children.

A Colorado toddler was seriously injured when she apparently put a USB cord dangling from a computer into her mouth. The computer was sitting on the floor and plugged in for charging. She was unconscious when she was rushed to the hospital, after being shocked by the cord. She was unconscious for 3 minutes and suffered third-degree burns on the right side of her tongue, her upper soft and hard palate and the right part of her lip.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14145613
 

Favorite
  Comments
  • 48590
    Tarun
    novice
    Posted by Tarun on January 8, 2010
    [reply] 7 0
    Rename: The Hazards of Negligent Parents.
      48594
    • HouTex
      admin
      Posted by HouTex on January 8, 2010
      [reply] 2 0
      You are so right! Even pets can be hurt when they stick their wet noses into harmful things left at a level they can reach. People may not realize that in addition to connectivity, USB cables also pass electrical current to their devices.
  • 48592
    midget
    professor
    5 3 2
    10 6 2
    Posted by midget on January 8, 2010 [reply] 0 0
    I learned about the hazards of extension cords the hard way about a month ago when i could have burned my house down.

    I had a small portable heater connected into a extension cord and due to the heat, my cheap extension cord completely melted at the connector part and made a small burn mark on the rug. Had I not caught it in time, I'd be without home.
      48593
    • HouTex
      admin
      Posted by HouTex on January 8, 2010 [reply] 0 0
      We have to be so careful during cold weather, because those little space heaters draw so much current and everyone has them. The cords are never heavy enough and always get hot if they are left on too long. In today's news are many accidental fires in these freezing temps, as people are even using their stove burners for heat and making all sorts of bad choices to keep warm.
  • 48596
    midget
    professor
    5 3 2
    10 6 2
    Posted by midget on January 8, 2010 [reply] 0 0
    Some people even put bbq's in their homes to keep warm and end up dying from carbon monoxide poisoning. I've heard this on the new more than once.
  • 48614
    Solstice
    professor
    1 6 2
    11 4 1
    Posted by Solstice on January 8, 2010
    [reply] 2 0
    Look at the interesting side, a new psychiatric phobia has been coined by this event.

    Uniserialbusiphobia: The fear of USB devices, cables, and other related paraphernalia.

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

Name

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

Emoticons

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

(more)


 

Browse by tags