Hot or Not?
The best cameras for every budget
Digital cameras have been popular gifts for a decade, but enthusiasm is waning, as most households already have one. The good news is that if you do know someone who could use a fresher model, it's hard to go wrong: Today's big-name cameras are almost uniformly good buys. Whether you're looking for a simple, compact point-and-shoot or a high-end digital SLR that accepts interchangeable lenses, here's a selection we think stands out from the crowd.
1. Best Budget Option: Kodak EasyShare C195 ($100)
2. Best Mid-Range Point-and-Shoot: Sony CyberShot WX5 ($270)
3. Best Point-and-Shoot, Period: Canon PowerShot S95 ($400)
4. Best Digital SLR for Beginners: Nikon D3100 ($700)
5. Best Splurge for Serious Photographers: Sony Alpha A55 ($850)
For complete Pros and Cons