Still working on your 2011 tax return? Even though we get 2 extra days to get them filed this year (deadline is April 17), lots of people haven't submitted their returns yet. Don't get in a last-minute hurry and make mistakes that cost you money.
If you're among those last-minute filers, first, take a breath.
Then take note of eight common filing mistakes to avoid.
1. Using an incorrect filing status
2. Missing, incorrect, or illegible numbers
3. Math errors
4. Choosing standard deduction vs itemizing - don't forget some losses can be carried forward from prior years
5. Misunderstanding what an extension means
6. Forgetting to account for all income
7. Messing up state tax deductions
8. Forgetting to sign and date the return
I also heard on the news that the post office won't be open as late this year....
So if you're planning a near-midnight run to the nearest post office to mail it yourself,
see USPS information at https://www.usps.com/taxes/welcome.htm
Click on "Find Post Offices open later than 6:00 PM on Tax Day"