Goob at "Hey It's Free" investigated one of freebies - Free Snuggie (which we posted on Buxr as well). His findings and methods are very interesting and educating. Here is a quick round up with my own additions:
1. Check the website design. Too simplistic, has Google Ads?
2. Check the about page. Does it have sufficient information about the company?
3. Check the domain with WhoIs for registration details. Domains registered recently or with hidden/private details are suspect.
4. Try to call the phone numbers on record. Does anyone answer?
5. Search "[domain name] scam" in Google or other search engine. Did anyone already report the scam?
List of fake freebies:
Goob's blog post:
Our own blog post on the subject:
The Snuggie deal on Buxr (now rejected):