Scope (?):  All Topics
1 1
12 6 1
Hot or Not?

8 Top Reasons You Overspend

submitted on May 22, 2010 by mooncow728 in "Member's Lounge"
Buying With Plastic, or in Bulk or Even Music Can Lead to Overshopping

It happens all the time: You go to the supermarket for a gallon of milk and come home with four bags of groceries, or you plan to order a single book from and end up with a $78 bill at checkout. You're not alone.

1. Paying With Plastic
2. Listening to Music
3. Buying in Bulk
4. Dieting
5. Tracking Exact Costs
6. Buying Clearance Merchandise
7. Shopping Without a List
8. Falling for Clever Pricing Tactics

Posted by YanBz on May 22, 2010
    [reply] 2 0
    The top reason I overspend for grocery is when I go to the store hungry
    • tammy987
      5 1 1
      Posted by tammy987 on May 23, 2010
      [reply] 3 0
      Yeah, that's usually when you come home with a cart full of snacks and no groceries. Confused
    Posted by iggy27 on May 23, 2010
    [reply] 3 0
    I Do The Same Thing All The Time. I Go For 1 Thing And Come Out With More.
    1 1
    12 6 1
    Posted by mooncow728 on May 24, 2010
    [reply] 2 0
    6. Buying Clearance Merchandise
    There is nothing wrong with getting an item on sale. The problem with the clearance rack is the items are limited.
    "It leads to the idea that if I don't get it now, it won't be there later," says Yarrow. "The fear of missing out tends to make us much less rational about evaluating our purchases, so we end up spending money on things we didn't want or need."
    To avoid overspending on unnecessary sale items, Yarrow suggests applying the Boy Scout motto: Be prepared.
    "Tell yourself that you're going in to buy a specific item and you won't get caught up in the frenzy of the crowd," she says.

I have to say that this is by far my biggest problem. I don't know necessarily that it's the money issue but it's definitely a space issue. I find things on clearance a lot that I have a coupon for to make it free or next nothing often when I don't need it. Especially at Target since they often give me the overage on coupons towards other items.
    1 1 1
    Posted by MrCheap on May 25, 2010
    [reply] 4 0
    The thing that gets me most is those "buy one get one 50% off" sales! I can never resist buying an extra pair of shoes, even if I absolutely don't need it Red Face

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

Browse by tags