Scope (?):  All Topics
HouTex
admin
Hot or Not?

70% of Ground Beef Contains Meat Salvage "Pink Slime" - Keep it Out of School Lunches! (Petition)

submitted on March 8, 2012 by HouTex in "Products / Gadgets", last updated on March 10, 2012 by HouTex
Eeek Did you know that much of the available ground beef sold today contains "pink slime" filler? The U.S. Department of Agriculture approves it as safe to eat, but do you really want to? TV chef Jamie Oliver first exposed the ammonia-treated meat scrap salvage on his show Food Revolution. Then McDonald's stopped using it in their burgers in August 2011. http://consumerist.com/2012/02.....dient.html (We didn't even know they were using it!)

You can avoid getting this product if you buy organic ground beef or grind your own.

This week ABC News reported at http://consumerist.com/2012/03.....-beef.html
The "pink slime" is made by gathering waste trimmings, simmering them at low heat so the fat separates easily from the muscle, and spinning the trimmings using a centrifuge to complete the separation. Next, the mixture is sent through pipes where it is sprayed with ammonia gas to kill bacteria. The process is completed by packaging the meat into bricks. Then, it is frozen and shipped to grocery stores and meat packers, where it is added to most ground beef.

and CBS News reported today that your kids may soon find more of it in their school lunches http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-50.....ink-slime/ -
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) plans to buy 7 million pounds of "Lean Beef Trimmings," what many dub pink slime, from Beef Products International (BPI) for the nation's school lunch programs.
1. Did you know this product existed?
 Yes
 No
2. Now that you know about it, would you buy ground beef that contains "pink slime?"
 Yes
 No
3. Would you let your kids eat school lunches containing "pink slime?"
 Yes
 No
4. Do you consider this product to be healthy or safe?
 Yes
 No
 or See Results 

Favorite
  Comments
    clover
    professor
    1 6 7
    12 11 2
    Posted by clover on March 8, 2012
    [reply] 1 0
    I don't eat beef. City Slickers...Little Norman the cow....1983. Turkey, chicken and fish is my choice. Food Lion bleached meat sealed the deal for me back in the 90's.
    CouponNut
    deity
    23 14 8
    12 10 2
    Posted by CouponNut on March 8, 2012 [reply] 0 0
    We are fish & white meat family unless its filet mignon.
    HouTex
    admin
    Posted by HouTex on March 10, 2012
    [reply] 1 0
    A petition has been created to prevent the use of Pink Slime in the School Lunch Program.
    Just read a few of the known facts:

Government and industry records obtained by The New York Times in 2009 showed that "in testing for the school lunch program, E. coli and salmonella pathogens have been found dozens of times in Beef Products meat, challenging claims by the company and the U.S.D.A. about the effectiveness of the treatment. Since 2005, E. coli has been found 3 times and salmonella 48 times, including back-to-back incidents in August in which two 27,000-pound batches were found to be contaminated. The meat was caught before reaching lunch-rooms trays."

Even apart from safety concerns, it is simply wrong to feed our children connective tissues and beef scraps that were, in the past, destined for use in pet food and rendering and were not considered fit for human consumption.

I personally do not think it is even fit to feed to my pets!

You can help too and tell the USDA to STOP the use of ground beef containing pink slime in the National School Lunch Program by signing this petition - http://www.change.org/petition.....tion_alert

Thanks very much to shawndiaz for providing this link.
    clover
    professor
    1 6 7
    12 11 2
    Posted by clover on March 11, 2012
    [reply] 1 0
    I have lunch duty for one grade level. When I look at the taco meat and hamburgers I cringe. My school district has added Veggie Burgers and Turkey Burgers to the menu but it is difficult to get kids to try them when they don't eat these things at home.
    "Ms. W. there is something wrong with my Hamburger...it's white." (me) "That's because it is a Turkey Burger." (kid) "No way I'm eating that....that's just wrong!" Confused
    sueskabuxr
    learner
    Posted by sueskabuxr on March 11, 2012
    [reply] 1 0
    So is this the slimy stuff that surfaces up out of hamburger when you fry it? If so, I have always scraped this off and thrown it out since it even makes my little dog, who has a delicate stomach, sick.
    sandyshore
    professor
    2 1
    12 8 1
    Posted by sandyshore on March 27, 2012
    [reply] 1 0
    An interesting promotion from Fresh & Easy - from their facebook page

At Fresh & Easy, we're committed to quality. We have never, would never and will never use the ammonia-treated filler known as “pink slime” in our ground beef.

If you’re worried about what’s in the ground beef you bought from another retailer, we invite you to our “Pink Slime Swap Meat” this Wednesday, March 28th. You can bring fresh or frozen ground beef from a competitor to any Fresh & Easy and exchange it for a package of fresh&easy (80/20) ground beef* – no questions asked.

Link to the facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/events/325852927469306/
    • clover
      professor
      1 6 7
      12 11 2
      Posted by clover on March 28, 2012 [reply] 0 0
      Interesting promotion. I am curious how many will take advantage of it!
    • HouTex
      admin
      Posted by HouTex on March 28, 2012 [reply] 0 0
      Fresh and Easy Markets operate more than 180 stores in CA, NV, and AZ.

Their Facebook page says
      Our popular fresh&easy brand products have no artificial colors or flavors, no added trans fats, no high-fructose corn syrup, and only use preservatives when absolutely necessary.

It looks like 148 people indicated on Facebook that they would attend the "event," while 20 others answered "maybe."

More details about the offer - http://freshandeasy.com/Conten.....eatFAQ.pdf
    • clover
      professor
      1 6 7
      12 11 2
      Posted by clover on March 28, 2012 [reply] 0 0
      I still cringe at school lunches. I walk over to a table and look at a kids tray and give my look and the kids go "what's that supposed to mean?" I say "nothing...just looking!" Cool
    FreebieLover
    Posted by FreebieLover on April 6, 2012 [reply] 0 0
    • HouTex
      admin
      Posted by HouTex on April 6, 2012 [reply] 0 0
      Thank you for posting, I was shocked when I read this. It makes a very good argument for buying organic.

I am paraphrasing, but took the facts from the article -
      Analysis of feathers from six states and China showed the chemicals chickens were exposed to:

1. They found a broad-spectrum class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolones that the FDA banned for poultry production in 2005. Antibiotics are given to industrially raised meat and poultry to make them grow more quickly. This particular class of drugs breeds so-called "superbugs" which cause antibiotic resistant infections in humans.

2. Arsenic, a known carcinogen, was found in every feather sample. Arsenic is fed to chickens and hogs to improve the color of their flesh.

3. The majority of samples also contained acetaminophin, the active ingredient in Tylenol.

4. One-third of the samples contained the antihistamine used in Benadryl.

5. The samples from China also showed traces of Prozac.

All these substances are administered to chickens to reduce stress because that can slow their growth.

6. The feathers also contained caffeine, presumably to counteract the effects of the other substances.

The research doesn't reveal exactly how much of these chemicals the average consumer is actually eating, so more work needs to be done.
    shawndiaz
    beginner
    Posted by shawndiaz on April 6, 2012
    [reply] 1 0
    Prozac? Eeek Well that explains the good feelings I guess
    clover
    professor
    1 6 7
    12 11 2
    Posted by clover on April 9, 2012 [reply] 0 0
    Nothing like chickens on Prozac and coffee. Neutral
    • HouTex
      admin
      Posted by HouTex on April 9, 2012
      [reply] 1 0
      It's a wonder the eggs don't come out pre-scrambled......
    clover
    professor
    1 6 7
    12 11 2
    Posted by clover on April 9, 2012 [reply] 0 0
    Holy Crap Batman....just re-read your above post and they also have Tylenol & Benydryl in their systems!!!! Yikes. I knew about the Arsenic. Irish oatmeal for breakfast...it will be very boring but safer.
    • HouTex
      admin
      Posted by HouTex on April 9, 2012 [reply] 0 0
      You could add nuts, raisins, or other fruit for variety. Sounds good to me...
    YanBz
    admin
    Posted by YanBz on April 9, 2012 [reply] 0 0
    We have switched to organic eggs about a year ago. I am now worried about milk which we drink in large quantities (non-organic). Switching would be too expensive...
    • clover
      professor
      1 6 7
      12 11 2
      Posted by clover on April 13, 2012 [reply] 0 0
      I grew up on Skim Milk as a child. Gave up milk years ago. I now drink Soy, Almond and just recently Coconut milk. I am used to it so it doesn't bother me. I use Egglands Best eggs. I have had concerns about those but not many.

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

Name

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

Emoticons

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

(more)

Browse by tags