Scope (?):  All Topics
pablos17
deity
2 4 6
10 8 2
Hot or Not?

6 Ways to Keep Pet Costs Down

submitted on July 5, 2011 by pablos17 in "Member's Lounge"
We all love our 4-legged friends and can' t live without them. However, the costs of owning a pet can often add up. See the article below for tips on saving money on pet care.

1. Don't pay a premium for pet food.
2. Consider new options for flea and tick protection.
3. Comparison shop for your pet's veterinary care.
4. Don't automatically get pet medicines from the vet.
5. Think twice before you buy pet health insurance.
6. Take simple steps now to prevent costly health problems.

Read more:
http://consumerist.com/2011/07.....a-pet.html

Favorite
  Comments
    HouTex
    admin
    Posted by HouTex on July 5, 2011
    [reply] 1 0
    We're always looking for ways to pamper those guys for less! Thanks, pablos17! (and VERY cute picture)

In the August issue of Consumer Reports they published a little comparison shopping for cat and dog supplies between Petco, PetSmart, Safeway, Target, and Walmart. http://www.consumerreports.org...../index.htm

I was surprised to see that the same store was not consistently the cheapest place for all items. Eeek
    But the savings can be anywhere from 10% to over 60%!
    clover
    professor
    1 6 7
    12 11 2
    Posted by clover on July 5, 2011
    [reply] 2 0
    I agree with everything except the Pet food Pablos17. I pay extra to feed my pets. I posted this before but here goes...I was a demonstrator for Nutro for four years. I believe in healthy food for pets. I now alternate between BJ's "Holistic" Dog food $19.99 for a 16 pound bag and Nutro Ultra which has three proteins(Chicken, Salmon & Lamb.) I mix the food together. I don't want my dog or cats on just one protein.

You also shouldn't have your pets inoculated yearly if they are basically indoor pets. It breaks down their immune system with the exception of Rabies shots. Ask your Vet about the 3 year Rabies shot.

Love the picture!
    webbyone2010
    professor
    Posted by webbyone2010 on July 6, 2011
    [reply] 4 0
    I think the pet food rule should be to buy the best food you can afford.
    • pablos17
      deity
      2 4 6
      10 8 2
      Posted by pablos17 on July 6, 2011 [reply] 0 0
      I agree. I buy a more expensive cat food for my kitties since we have such a hard water problem here. The hard water is terrible on their kidneys so I buy food for urinary health and give them distilled water most of the time. Unfortunately, they don't always drink the distilled water and go after the faucets, tubs, and showers.
    • equipurple
      professor
      11 8 1
      Posted by equipurple on July 6, 2011 [reply] 0 0
      There is a hidden option in the pet food marketplace. Unless you are in a completely urban area, check out a local feed and grain store. There are additional brands of dog and cat food made by farm animal feed companies. They are less expensive than most retail brands and compete nutritionally with all, including high end brands. We feed our dog Blue Seal's dog crunchies (their base product, they make more "designer" items too). $26 for a 50 lb bag.

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

Name

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

Emoticons

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

(more)

Browse by tags