Scope (?):  All Topics
midget
professor
5 3 2
10 6 2
Hot or Not?

5 Foods to help you fall asleep

submitted on February 22, 2011 by midget in "Products / Gadgets"
Have trouble sleeping sometimes and you don't really want to use meds to bring on the sandman?

Here are 5 foods that can actually help you have a good nights rest.

1. Cherries. Fresh and dried cherries are one of the only natural food sources of melatonin, the chemical that controls the body's internal clock to regulate sleep. Researchers who tested tart cherries and found high levels of melatonin recommend eating them an hour before bedtime or before a trip when you want to sleep on the plane.

2. Bananas. Potassium and magnesium are natural muscle relaxants, and bananas are a good source of both. They also contain the amino acid L-tryptophan, which gets converted to 5-HTP in the brain. The 5-HTP in turn is converted to serotonin (a relaxing neurotransmitter) and melatonin.

3. Toast. Carbohydrate-rich foods trigger insulin production, which induces sleep by speeding up the release of tryptophan and serotonin, two brain chemicals that relax you and send you to sleep..

4. Oatmeal. Like toast, a bowl of oatmeal triggers a rise in blood sugar, which in turn triggers insulin production and the release of sleep-inducing brain chemicals. Oats are also rich in melatonin, which many people take as a sleep aid..

5. Warm milk. Like bananas, milk contains the amino acid L-tryptophan, which turns to 5-HTP and releases relaxing serotonin. It's also high in calcium, which promotes sleep.

http://health.yahoo.net/caring.....-you-sleep

Favorite
  Comments
    DebsFreebies
    professor
    10 5 1
    Posted by DebsFreebies on February 22, 2011
    [reply] 4 0
    You can also buy Valerian Root and/or Melatonin over the counter for a good nights sleep Smile Or, you can not sleep and just submit deals at Buxr Mr Green
    • lootango
      professor
      11 9 1
      Posted by lootango on February 23, 2011
      [reply] 1 0
      Beware of melatonin. I used to take it to help get a good night's sleep and it gave me horrible nightmares, which I then researched and found that that was a quite common side effect.
    • roxytang
      professor
      10 7 2
      Posted by roxytang on February 23, 2011 [reply] 0 0
      Good to know. Thanks Loot!
    iggy27
    master
    Posted by iggy27 on February 22, 2011
    [reply] 2 0
    Thank You For The Information.
    YanBz
    admin
    Posted by YanBz on February 22, 2011
    [reply] 1 0
    Any food in plenty amount will do the trick for me. Being hungry on the other hand will do the opposite
    laaya
    professor
    1 1 2
    11 8 2
    Posted by laaya on February 22, 2011 [reply] 0 0
    I don't like Bananas. Twisted
    sandyshore
    professor
    2 1
    12 8 1
    Posted by sandyshore on February 22, 2011
    [reply] 1 0
    I need foods that keep me awake -- and don't make me crash and burn later... Amused
    psplove
    professor
    3 1 6
    11 9 2
    Posted by psplove on February 22, 2011 [reply] 0 0
    I agree on #5 many people are like to drink Warm milk before their sleep.
    DebsFreebies
    professor
    10 5 1
    Posted by DebsFreebies on February 23, 2011 [reply] 0 0
    Hmmm....warm milk for me means that the fridge is on the brink Mr Green
    sweety_riya777
    journeyman
    4 1 1
    Posted by sweety_riya777 on February 23, 2011
    [reply] 1 0
    Even rice will make u fall asleep ...

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

Name

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

Emoticons

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

(more)

Browse by tags