sandyshore
professor
2 1
12 8 1
Hot or Not?

32% Admit Mooching Neighbor's Wi-Fi

submitted on February 5, 2011 by sandyshore in "Products / Gadgets"
Survey: 32% Admit Mooching Neighbor's Wi-Fi

It's the digital equivalent of mooching a cup of sugar, only without asking. Some 32% of respondents to a recent national survey admitted borrowing a neighbor's unencrypted Wi-Fi connection. That's nearly double the 18% who said they borrowed Wi-Fi in a 2008 poll.

Sharing an open Wi-Fi hookup might seem neighborly. But a nosy neighbor could use eavesdropping software to monitor your online haunts. A free, easy-to-use eavesdropping tool called Firesheep has been downloaded more than 1 million times since last year.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technolo.....d=12837897

Are you taking proper steps to protect yourself?! When a friend was here with a laptop she was shocked at how many connections they found open in my neighborhood.

Favorite
  Comments
    mooncow728
    professor
    1 1
    12 6 1
    Posted by mooncow728 on February 5, 2011
    [reply] 5 0
    My router has a button on the front that will open the network until you close it and my kids thought it was fun to push that button without me knowing. My internet provider allows 250GB per month of data and I got a phone call from them because I guess we hit over 1 TB of usage. My hubby and I freaked out until we realized that our connection was open. We fixed that problem fast but it just goes to show how many people will leach off of you.
    webbyone2010
    professor
    Posted by webbyone2010 on February 5, 2011
    [reply] 5 0
    Not cool at all. It is theft, after all.
    Solstice
    professor
    1 6 2
    11 4 1
    Posted by Solstice on February 6, 2011
    [reply] 1 0
    Its incredibly easy to set up the security, so on one level I have a hard time having complete sympathy.
    The setup routines and instructions practically take you by the hand and walk you though it now.
    Solstice
    professor
    1 6 2
    11 4 1
    Posted by Solstice on February 6, 2011
    [reply] 2 0
    Now, should you find out your neighbor is "borrowing" your network...

If you have a spare router that you don't care about, and if data usage is not a concern, fully set it up and secure your old one. Then attach a programmable timer to the power supply of the spare at the outlet, so that every 20-60min it resets the router by turning the power on and off for a few minutes.
    • CouponNut
      deity
      23 14 8
      12 10 2
      Posted by CouponNut on February 6, 2011 [reply] 1 1
      Interesting to find out because we can see the wi-fi networks in our neighborhood.

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

Name

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

Emoticons

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

(more)

Browse by tags