Scope (?):  All Topics
10 5 1
Hot or Not?

13 Things Your Pharmacist Won't Tell You

submitted on August 16, 2010 by DebsFreebies in "Member's Lounge"
1. Don't try to get anything past us. Prescriptions for painkillers or sleeping aids always get extra scrutiny.

2. We're not serving fries in here. I'd think twice about using a drive-through pharmacy. Working there distracts us-not a good thing when it comes to pharmaceuticals.

3. Generics area close match for most brand names. But I'd be careful with blood thinners and thyroid drugs, since small differences can have big effects.

4. Sometimes we can't read the doctor's handwriting either. E-prescribing can help, but as of 2006, fewer than 20 percent of prescriptions were being electronically transmitted.

5. I hate your insurance company as much as you do. "Even if something's working for you, the insurance company may insist you switch to something else," says pharmacy owner Stuart Feldman."I'm stuck in the middle trying to explain this to customers."

6. We can give flu shots in most states.

7. A less-qualified pharmacy technician may have actually filled your prescription. Currently, there is no national standard for their training and responsibilities.

8. We're human … and we make mistakes (about two million a year). Ask if we use a bar-code system to help keep us from pulling the wrong drug off the shelf or giving the wrong strength of the right drug. 9. I can give you a generic refill that's different from the one you started with. When in doubt, ask. Online resources like let you double-check your pill.

10. We're not mind readers, and there's not some big computer database that tracks your drugs and flags interactions for pharmacists everywhere. Use one pharmacy. If you start using a new one, make sure we know what you're taking.

11. Avoid the lines. It gets busy Monday and Tuesday evenings, since many new prescriptions and refills come in after the weekend.

12. Look into the $4 generics offered by chains like Target, Kroger, and Wal-Mart. And it can't hurt to ask your pharmacy if it will match the price.

13. Yelling at me won't help. If I can't reach your doctor and/or insurance company to approve a refill, there's nothing I can do about it.

original article:

2 1
    12 8 1
    Posted by sandyshore on August 16, 2010
    [reply] 2 0
    Something you should always check -- Always look online when getting a new prescription to check size and distinguishing features on a prescription pill to be sure what you brought home is what your doctor ordered for you. I have had two instances where what I brought home was incorrect. One I knew instantly they had refilled both prescription bottles with blood pressure medication instead of one with blood pressure meds and one with another medication. Had I not been aware of the fact that they were both the same pill I could have had a serious problem. I took both bottles back to the pharmacy and got refunded, along with them telling me exactly what they were going to do to try and prevent the same problem in the future.
    3 1
    Posted by vectra5 on August 16, 2010
    [reply] 1 0
    would you get a generic or pay extra for brand name? I always ask myself this question when at pharmacy... most of time i get generics....
    • webbyone2010
      Posted by webbyone2010 on August 16, 2010
      [reply] 1 0
      I will pay more for a certain medicine if I have a bad reaction to the generic.
    Posted by bert on August 16, 2010
    [reply] 1 0
    I give insulin injections to my cat twice daily. a pharmacy sold me insulin that had expired that very day. I took it back & the pharmasist told me "that insulin does'nt know what day it is". Needless to say, we no longer buy anything there. (I did make them give me a refund)
    Posted by deby32953 on August 16, 2010 [reply] 0 0
    I got really sick when my pharmacist gave me the wrong meds when he couldn't read the doctor's writing. He felt really bad even though it wasn't his fault & gave me the correct script for free! The pharmacists used to look at me real funny several years ago when I'd come in with 13 scripts, some for heavy duty pain killers & muscle relaxants, injectables, etc. Now they just ask how I'm doing & when would I like to pick them up. I love CVS but Walgreens is always screwing up so I don't use them anymore.

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

Browse by tags