Scope (?):  All Topics
HouTex
admin
Hot or Not?

10 Things You Should Never Buy at Garage Sales

submitted on July 22, 2012 by HouTex in "Sales / Promotions"
You can often find some great bargains at local garage sales. But according to this list from Reader's Digest http://www.rd.com/slideshows/1.....age-sales/ there are 10 items you should never buy. Many times these particular items can have hidden damage and would no longer be considered safe or useful.

Favorite (1)
  Comments
    anand
    professor
    3 9
    10 9 2
    Posted by anand on July 22, 2012 [reply] 0 0
    With the Mattresses, i had a terrible experience.

One of my friend bought a Mattress from a Garage sale. He was pretty new for this and he doesn't even know about the bed bugs kind.

Later a week or so, i went to visit him and rested for couple of hours.

Came back to home and after 10 days i found bugs in my apt and i was shocked to see them Red Face . Same time he called me and said some bugs running all over his bed room. Then i came to know where all i got these stupid gift. It cost him $1500 to clean out and $650 for me to fix my apartment Evil .

And also stay away from buying furniture like Sofa, couches etc..
    mooncow728
    professor
    1 1
    12 6 1
    Posted by mooncow728 on July 22, 2012 [reply] 0 0
    I've learned to be really careful buying toys of any kind at sales. I don't know how many times I've bought something only to realize it had been recalled. Normally if it has multiple parts I try to google before buying. If it doesn't have multiple parts, you still have to be careful because it could contain lead paint. I can't believe how often I see people trying to resell unsafe items. If you don't want your kids around it, then don't try to pawn it off on mine.
    Solstice
    professor
    1 6 2
    11 4 1
    Posted by Solstice on July 22, 2012 [reply] 0 0
    Most of those seem like no-brainers to me, but I guess that is me.

FYI: BedBugs are becoming a greater and greater problem in the use and like to hide everywhere. Furniture is a big no-no, cloth or fabric material is bad, and anything with a cardboard box could be a carrier. The babies are really really tiny and can be easy overlooked by the naked eye.

If you must buy something from a garage sale, make sure it is something that can be thoroughly sprayed down with rubbing alcohol, since it kills them on contact, or can withstand high heat, like the inside of metal trash can turned over on a 95+ degree hot day in direct sunlight. They don't like high heat, and a long duration exposure can also kill them. (Precautionary treatment must be done before bringing it inside your home.)
    shawndiaz
    beginner
    Posted by shawndiaz on July 23, 2012
    [reply] 2 0
    I am usually guilty on a couple of them.

1. Laptops: I buy used laptops all the time. If they are a decent price, I repair them and then re-use them for many purposes.

2. Hats: How often would you find an Indiana Jones hat? I would buy a used one of those! Mr Green

To add to this sort of detail, ever go to a thrift store? They don't sell mattresses or tires or swimsuits, but they do sell used shoes of all kinds.
    laaya
    professor
    1 1 2
    11 8 2
    Posted by laaya on July 23, 2012 [reply] 0 0
    I never saw laptops in any garage sales.

But, stay away from wooden furniture and clothes Evil
    HouTex
    admin
    Posted by HouTex on July 24, 2012 [reply] 0 0
    These are the kinds of unsafe items that may be sold at garage sales:

Today I heard that 223,000 Peg Perego strollers were recalled, eight years after a reported death. They were sold at Toys "R" Us Inc.'s Babies R Us and Bed Bath & Beyond Inc.'s (BBBY) Buy Buy Baby between January 2004 and September 2010. A repair kit is offered for these older versions of Venezia and Pliko P3 Strollers - the information is posted on the company's website at http://us.pegperego.com/babypr.....formation/

About 5,600 Kolcraft strollers were also recalled - they were sold at Burlington Coat Factory, Amazon, and Target between February 2012 and July 2012.

read more at http://online.wsj.com/article/.....14510.html

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

Name

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

Emoticons

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

(more)

Browse by tags