The holidays are here, and chances are you have your fair share of parties to attend. You know the rules: Bring a bottle of wine and follow up with a thank-you note. But what if you're the one throwing the bash? We talked to partygoers from around the country and found out what they have to say about hosting dos and don'ts. If you're planning to open up your home this season, read on to learn everything your guests are too polite to tell you.
1. Put some thought into the food you serve—and how you serve it.
2. Be upfront about the guest list.
3. Make sure there's enough room for everyone to mingle.
4. Make an effort!
5. Don't forget about the bathroom.
6. Don't try too hard.
7. Make it clear whether kids are welcome or not.
8. Keep Fido and Fluffy out of sight.
9. Don't be a neat freak.
10. If you can't afford a party, don't have one.