Scope (?):  All Topics
11 2 1
Hot or Not?

submitted on July 13, 2010 by jack69darin in "Products / Gadgets"
The main reason for buying generic products -- saving money -- is simple enough. But there's also the satisfaction of not giving in to the marketing hype and buying something just because a company promotes it everywhere.

The generic labels may not be as fancy as the brand-name products, and the taste of generic items, such as soda, may not appeal to you depending on your tastebuds, but it's worth trying generic brands to see if you like them. The savings can add up over a lifetime, as a savings calculator can quickly show you. And if the savings isn't enough, or the brand name is much better than the generic, you can always go back to the branded product. You can even buy popular brands from the past.

But remember the power of brands. Since the same manufacturer of a brand-name product often makes the generic product with the same ingredients, what the company selling the branded item is selling is the perception of something better. Consumers don't buy generic products because they think it makes them look bad, said Jason Gurwin, CEO of Pushpins, a mobile coupon company.

"People don't buy generic because it's a reflection on their personal wealth and it's a reflection on their personal taste," Gurwin told WalletPop in a telephone interview.

If you're ready to put that feeling aside, or at least fill that old bottle of expensive olive oil with a cheaper generic brand, here are 10 products you should always buy generic because they're just as good as the branded items and will save you plenty of cash

Read more:

10 5 1
    Posted by DebsFreebies on July 14, 2010
    [reply] 1 0
    As a side note...the FDA mandates that "generic/store brand" drugs contain the same ingredients and perform the same as name brand. So, you know you are getting what you expect from generic brands.
    Posted by deby32953 on July 14, 2010 [reply] 0 0
    They may contain the same ingredients AND MORE! I've had severe allergic reactions to generic meds that had (HARMLESS?) additives that the brand name products didn't. Granted my system's very sensitive & I'm even allergic to steroids ("noone's allergic to steroid"), hence the expensive & multiple perscriptions I must take for my MS. The 1st time they started a solul medrol drip at home, I had to be rushed to the hospital where I stayed for 2 weeks. I'm not allowed to take any generic meds w/o having permission from 1 of my drs. & in their presence w/an adrenillin shot at the ready. I personally am terrified of them! Not worth the risk!

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

Browse by tags