Scope (?):  All Topics
HouTex
admin
Hot or Not?

1,500 Jobs Lost In 10 Sam's Club Closings

submitted on January 12, 2010 by HouTex in "Stores / Merchants"
Wal-Mart announced on January 11, 2010 that it will close 10 money-losing Sam's Club stores and cut 1,500 jobs to reduce costs. The company says it will try to find jobs for employees at other locations.

The following stores, which were under-performing, will close January 22:
Nampa, Idaho
La Quinta, California
Sacramento, California
Vista, California
Irvine, California
Rolling Meadows, Illinois
Louisville, Colorado
Clay, New York
Houston, Texas
Phoenix, Arizona

I don't expect any discounts to be offered. I think they will just close these clubs and shift the merchandise to other locations.

Favorite
  Comments
    WhattaDealBlog
    professor
    Posted by WhattaDealBlog on January 12, 2010
    [reply] 2 0
    Ouch that is pretty short notice for store closings is it not?
    • HouTex
      admin
      Posted by HouTex on January 12, 2010
      [reply] 2 0
      Very short notice! In Houston, the news media went on the day of the announcement to the store that was scheduled to close, and found it already closed! That supports my theory that they are working inside (closed to the public) to box up the merchandise. Otherwise, how much notice did the employees get?
    MrCheap
    professor
    1 1 1
    Posted by MrCheap on January 12, 2010
    [reply] 1 0
    It doesn't say anything about when it is closing the stores. They just announces so I bet it will take a while

http://www.reuters.com/article.....arketsNews
    busant20
    professor
    Posted by busant20 on January 12, 2010 [reply] 0 0
    Unemployment rate up. Cry Cry Cry
    • HouTex
      admin
      Posted by HouTex on January 12, 2010
      [reply] 1 0
      As the recession seems to continue and 85,000 jobs were lost in December, "experts" are telling us we are in "recovery." Eeek
    HouTex
    admin
    Posted by HouTex on January 24, 2010
    [reply] 6 0
    Update January 24, 2010:
    Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will eliminate about 11,200 more jobs at Sam’s Clubs in the U.S., 10% of its workforce, as it hires an outside company to demonstrate products.

About 10,000 demonstration employees, most part-time, will lose their jobs in the next 30 days after marketing company Shopper Events takes over sampling. Shopper Events, based in Rogers, Arkansas, next to Bentonville (Walmart headquarters), plans to hire about the same number of workers that Sam’s Club is firing, so employees are expected to apply for Shopper Events jobs.

The company is also cutting about 1,200 membership recruiting jobs, or about two in each of the club’s U.S. stores.
    YanBz
    admin
    Posted by YanBz on January 25, 2010
    [reply] 4 0
    A Sam's Club store near me closes. The sent a map with other stores in the area and a "Sorry" $10 gift card to use in any of these remaining stores.

Leave a Comment (members Sign in to comment)

Name

E-Mail (will not be published)

2 x 3 = ?

Emoticons

'Mr Green''Neutral''Twisted''Arrow''Eek''Smile''Confused''Cool''Evil''Big Grin''Idea''Red Face'

(more)

Browse by tags