The month of February is over and it is time for our usual monthly wrap-up when we look back at what happened during the past month, announce our contest winners, and also give you a heads up at what is coming.
Monthly Contest Results
bemicmom finishes first this month followed by CouponNut and laaya in the seconds and third place. Congratulations guys! Here is the complete list of this month’s winners and prizes:
1. bemicmom (684 Points): $70
2. CouponNut (571 Points): $50
3. laaya (499 Points): $50
4. onkarkulkarni (481 Points): $35
5. siggy38 (479 Points): $35
6. anand (463 Points): $35
7. mdshopper1 (460 Points): $35
8. djhciskoski (449 Points): $25
9. 2kidsnuts (418 Points): $25
10. clover (418 Points): $25
11. Version (378 Points): $25
12. lootango (367 Points): $10
13. Goofy_Girl (354 Points): $10
14. psplove (348 Points): $10
15. sandyshore (330 Points): $10
March 2nd, 2015
It has been nearly 4 years since we wrote about whether store loyalty programs were worth having. I decided back then that trading some personal information to merchants in exchange for the benefits of getting discounts or other rewards was well worth it to me. But I’ve collected so many of them that the sheer number of cards and tags is beginning to drive me crazy! I’ve accumulated every kind of card from grocery stores, restaurants, craft stores, office supply stores, and more. And invariably when I’m out shopping, I discover that I’ve left the very cards I need at home. So I decided it was time to clean out my wallet and keyrings, and put every card into a convenient phone app.
In that previous blog post, we mentioned two apps, CardStar and KeyRing. Since that time, wallet apps and other organizers have come and gone, but in my opinion those two are still the best. Here are the features of several good choices, so you can decide which one best suits your needs. I found it very easy to add cards to all of them, even successfully adding my library and museum membership cards. Your choice will likely be made based on the extra features.
February 23rd, 2015
This year the April 15 deadline for filing federal and state income taxes falls on Wednesday. Every year more and more U.S. taxpayers are filing their tax returns online, and for simple short forms the best tax filing options are free. We gave our readers a pretty complete overview in a previous blog post, so this time we’ll take a closer look at the top choices and add some new mobile options.
5 Top Online Options
- TurboTax is the top-rated online software to file federal taxes for free. It includes only simple forms like 1040EZ, 1040A, and 1040, but if you find you need more you can upgrade at any point. There are step-by-step instructions, access to expert help, and free tax advice via live chat. You can expect your federal tax refund to arrive in your bank account within seven days when you use e-file and direct deposit. Free tools and calculators are posted here. If you use your federal tax refund to purchase an Amazon e-gift card, you can earn an extra 5% or 10% bonus, see this offer.
February 16th, 2015
Now that the groundhog has predicted 6 more weeks of dreary winter, you may wonder if there’s any relief from the ice and snow. Well, there is! Visiting Texas is a great idea because cold weather in Texas is so mild that you can already enjoy many indoor and outdoor activities. There are actually 7 different landscapes all within the same state — with everything from coastal beaches and rolling hills to plains and piney woods. Best of all, it’s moderately priced.
If you’re looking for a romantic getaway, the Hill Country and Gulf Coast both offer some excellent all-weather choices. You can celebrate Mardi Gras Galveston-style and enjoy walks on the beach while you’re there. When you consider all the artisan, western, flower, and music festivals as well as unique dining experiences and popular spring break destinations, there are lots of attractions to please everyone. You can request a free travel guide by mail, or view it online here.
February 9th, 2015
The month of January is over and it is time for our usual monthly wrap-up when we look back at what happened during the past month, announce our contest winners, and also give you a heads up at what is coming.
Monthly Contest Results
onkarkulkarni finishes first this month followed by bemicmom and CouponNut in the seconds and third place. Congratulations guys! Here is the complete list of this month’s winners and prizes:
1. onkarkulkarni (716 Points): $70
2. bemicmom (704 Points): $50
3. CouponNut (630 Points): $50
4. mdshopper1 (571 Points): $35
5. anand (563 Points): $35
6. djhciskoski (557 Points): $35
7. clover (544 Points): $35
8. laaya (515 Points): $25
9. siggy38 (513 Points): $25
10. 2kidsnuts (505 Points): $25
11. lootango (484 Points): $25
12. Goofy_Girl (481 Points): $10
13. Version (464 Points): $10
14. psplove (415 Points): $10
15. gadhasing (388 Points): $10
February 2nd, 2015